Jakarta History Museum was housed on the original town hall of 17th-century Batavia, the capital of Dutch East Indies and center of the Asian spice trade. Kota Tua, is a neighborhood comprising the original downtown area of Jakarta, Indonesia. Jakarta city map pdf largely Chinese downtown area of Glodok is a part of Kota Tua. A map of Batavia in 1740.
Kota Tua is a remainder of Oud Batavia, the first walled settlement of the Dutch in Jakarta area. It was an inner walled city with its own Castle. The area gained importance during the 17th-19th century when it was established as the de facto capital of the Dutch East Indies.
Dubbed “The Jewel of Asia” in the 16th century by European sailors, the area was a center of commerce due to its strategic location within the spice trade industry in the archipelago. In 1526, Fatahillah, sent by Sultanate of Demak, invaded the Hindu Pajajaran’s port of Sunda Kelapa, after which he renamed it into Jayakarta. This town was only 15 hectare in size and had a typical Javanese harbor layout.
In 1619 the VOC destroyed Jayakarta under the command of Jan Pieterszoon Coen. A year later the VOC built a new town named “Batavia” after the Batavieren, the Dutch ancestors from antiquity.
This city was centered around the east bank of the Ciliwung river, around present day Fatahillah Square. Inhabitants of Batavia are called “Batavianen”, later known as “Betawi” people. The creole citizens are descendants of mixed various ethnicities that had inhabited Batavia.